Monday, November 16, 2009

What should i do if my amaryllis isn't flowering?

I've already cut the leaves twice to have it regrow and bud, but its not flowering. My friend has the same plant and it have alot of flowers on it. What am i doing wrong?

What should i do if my amaryllis isn't flowering?
The technique recommended for years has been growing the plants on through the summer outdoors, and then inducing dormancy by stopping watering in the fall and placing them in a dry cool spot indoors for 10 to 12 weeks.


The reason for this is to try force blooming for a specific period, usually Christmas.





However, for bigger, healthier plants, I recommend allowing the bulb to continue growing vigorously as long as possible, so it will reward you with better blooms in January or February. My amaryllis is 100 years old. It was my great-grandmothers, and it's doing wonderfully. I treat it as a green house plant and it blooms for me 2 times a year.





Apply a standard water-soluble houseplant fertilizer at half the recommended strength every two weeks.





Keep bulb in a pot sized "just right". As the bulb grows and the pot fills with roots, move it up to a bigger pot that's just slightly larger than the bulb. I like to use tall, narrow clay pots.





In summer, I move the plant outdoors into a sunny spot and treat it like a container plant. I continue fertilizing until the middle of August. NEVER allow the soil to dry out, but avoid keeping it soggy.





In fall, before there's a chance of frost, bring the plant inside and place in a sunny window or under plant lights. The leaves may yellow and die off by late December. During this time, keep the plant moist, not wet; most importantly, don't let the pot dry out. The buds for the new flowers should appear in January or February, but sometimes they bloom as late as March.





After flowering, resume feeding and keep the pot in a sunny window or under plant lights until it can go outdoors again. Big vigorously growing bulbs will produce offsets – little baby bulbs – which you can pot up to grow to flowering size in a couple of seasons.
Reply:It could be a young bulb and may not flower until next year. Cutting the leaves does not increase flowering ... from my experience. Take care of it and see what happens next year. Do not cut any more leaves unless they yellow and die.

Toothache

No comments:

Post a Comment