Saturday, November 14, 2009

I have questions about my amaryllis plants?

They have flowered and I left the long stalks on. They made pods which have opened up. Are the black things inside of them seeds? How long do you have to let the seeds grow to make bulbs that will produce flowers? If they are seeds could you give me planting instructions? Thank you.

I have questions about my amaryllis plants?
Yes - those are seeds.





You can start them in a moist peat/perlite mixture. Keep in high light, but protect from direct sun.





It will take years before they are large enough to bloom.





See source for more info.
Reply:Your bulb is good for many more years of flowers. You should not have left the stalk on---always cut them off as soon as the last flower wilts----it takes energy from the bulb to make seeds.





I don't know how easy it is to germinate the seeds or if they result in viable plants.


No comments:

Post a Comment