Saturday, November 14, 2009

Has anyone had experience with growing amaryllis from seed if so tell me how?

I don`t want an answer copied from the internet because there answers aren`t good enough. I want to know if they really do need a dormant period, the sun and watering the soil requirements.

Has anyone had experience with growing amaryllis from seed if so tell me how?
From seed? No. I have propagated lots of them from bulb offsets though. That would probably be a lot easier than trying to spout seeds for them. Every year each bulb I have grows two or three offsets. Just cut them off with a knife and plant them.
Reply:We have amaryllis seedlings come up voluntarily all the time.





The parent plants are located in an outdoor planter box within our screen porch. Good rich soil, kept reasonably moist. Partial shade.





The seedlings take YEARS to come to flowering size. We pull up and discard all but a very few that grow in out-of-the-way places.

fabric boot

No comments:

Post a Comment