Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Should I thin out my amaryllis.?

We bought a house 2 years ago and much to my delight there are about 100 amaryllis' in the front flower bed. They seem to be pretty thick though, is there a proper way to thin them out maybe transplant some to the back yard or give as gifts? I had no idea that there were such a "hot garden item" until a neighbor came by frantic b/c i was removing weeds and she thought i was pulling up the amaryllis... Also, is there a "seed" that I could take from the existing plants to cultivate new ones?? Thanks

Should I thin out my amaryllis.?
Start at the outside and break off each bulb with 2 hand forks. You can either replant them or dry them for use later.
Reply:You can thin out your amaryllis plot. Just dig up the bulbs while they are dormant and transplant them. You can collect seeds by keeping the dead flowers in tact. They look just like little marbles at the base of each flower. It takes years for each seed to produce flowers. Dividing the bulbs is much faster.


No comments:

Post a Comment